Recipe: Peanut Butter & Banana Steel Cut Oatmeal
I am almost halfway through my pregnancy! I've been having trouble gaining weight and my doctor encouraged me to eat more high density foods and protein. In today's post, I'll share a recipe that incorporates peanut butter into oatmeal for a protein boost. I'll also share some other snack ideas at the end of the post.
- 1 cup of steel cut oats
- 3 cups of water
- 1 packet of Justin's Naturally Delicious Classic Peanut Butter (1.15 oz)
- .5 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup of pecans
1. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil and then add the steel cut oats and simmer for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, until desired consistency.
2. Stir in the Justin's Naturally Delicious Classic Peanut Butter packet.
3. Stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon.
4. Distribute into four bowls.
5. Chop the banana into thin slices. Add the banana slices and pecans to the top of each bowl of oatmeal. Optionally, sprinkle with cinnamon.
6. Enjoy or refrigerate leftovers.
As I mentioned earlier, I am trying to add more high density foods and protein to my diet. I found a trendy brand called Justin's in the organic section of our local Kroger store. (They also sell this brand at many other stores. Click here for their store locator.) They have great almond, hazelnut, and peanut butters in both jars and packets. The jars are nice for home. I keep the packets in my purse with crackers in case I feel low blood sugar when I am away from home. They also have fun treats like dark chocolate mini peanut butter cups and little packets of pretzels with almond and peanut butter!
Mmm... pretzels with trendy dips! Justin's has my pregnancy cravings covered.